D2015. Polychrome Jug and Cover with Metal Mount
Delft, circa 1710
Marked NOM 7 PAK in iron-red for Pieter Adriaensz. Kocx, owner of De Grieksche A (The Greek A) factory from 1701 to 1703, or his widow Johanna van der Heul from 1703 until 1722
Painted in blue and iron-red on the front and reverse, the lower body painted with a garden urn filled with flowers on a pedestal of s-scrolls, above a floral and foliate border with two large floral patterned ruyi-heads, the neck with a wide border of floral lambrequins, scrolls and floral pattered ruyi-heads, the loop handle with scale-work affixed with a metal mount to the cover with flowering branches above a petal and hatchwork border around the rim interrupted by a ruyi-head on the spout extension.
Height: 23.2 cm. (9.1 in.)
As we take a closer look at the jug, we can see that the bottom bears the mark PAK. This reveals that the jug was made in De Grieksche A (The Greek A) factory, under the management of Pieter Kocx from 1701 to 1703 or when his widow Johanna van der Heul was the owner of the factory from 1703 to 1722. De Grieksche A factory under the management of Kocx, and even more, of Van der Heul was at the forefront when it comes to polychrome earthenware. The factory was able to supply complete dinner services, from dishes to jars and from teapots to jugs and even ewers and bowls, to the European elite.
The Anton F. Philips (1874-1951) Collection, Eindhoven, and thence by family descent
- Repaired chip to tip of spout and spout tip of cover