D0523. Polychrome and Gilded Jug and Cover
Delft, circa 1710
Marked PAK no 6 in iron-red for Pieter Adriaensz. Kocx, the owner of De Grieksche A (The Greek A) Factory from 1701 until 1703 or his widow Johanna van der Heul
The lower half of the baluster-form body painted on either side with two or three birds in flight or perched amidst flowering branches issuing from cobalt-blue stylized rocks patterned with gilt flowering scrollwork on the front and back, the upper body with dianthus sprigs between borders of lappets, blossoms and foliate scrolls repeated on the cover around a central flowering plant, and the loop handle with a leafy vine border.
Height: 19.8 cm. (7 3/4 in.)
The decoration of this jug is a typical Dutch interpretation of the Japanese Imari. The asymmetry is formed by a blue section on the right and the open scenery with the depiction of a flowering plant and birds in flight. Furthermore the colour pattern of the Japanese Imari porcelain wares is extended with a light green colour. Often we see jugs with a silver or pewter hinge, but this jug has a separate faience cover. Since a jug without a hinge is not really much of a use, this can indicate that the jug was never used and possibly put away in a cupboard.
As we take a closer look at the jug, we can see that the bottom bears the mark PAK. This reveals that the jug was made in De Grieksche A (The Greek A) factory, under the management of Pieter Kocx from 1701 to 1703 or when his widow Johanna van der Heul was the owner of the factory from 1703 to 1722. De Grieksche A factory under the management of Kocx, and even more, of Van der Heul was at the forefront when it comes to the Imari-style earthenware. The factory was able to supply complete dinner services, from dishes to jars and from teapots to jugs and even ewers and bowls, in this style to the European elite. In the first twenty years of the 18th century many thousands of pieces must have been painted in the Imari-style at De Grieksche A factory.
- Cover with repaired chip to tip