[popup_trigger id=”13756″ tag=”span”][/popup_trigger]
Images on this website are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
•D2056. Pair of Polychrome Models of Cats
Delft, circa 1790
Marked LPK in blue for De Porceleyne Lampetkan (The Porcelain Ewer) factory in blue from 1778 until 1811
Each with pricked ears, green staring eyes and a coat naturalistically delineated in manganese, and modeled seated on his or her hind legs with the tail curled over the hind paws, on a dark blue-glazed chamfered rectangular base.
Heights: 23.7 cm. (9.3 in.)
The collection of Baroness Hélène de Rothschild, France;
Salomon Stodel Antiquités, Amsterdam, 1988;
The Van der Vorm Collection, The Netherlands
Like the more common pairs of seated dogs, these models of cats were intended to adorn the furniture or mantelpiece of a well-appointed interior (see
Van Aken-Fehmers 2001, p. 126). A comparably large pair of blue and white figures of cats marked IP for Johannes Pennis Jr., the owner of De Twee
Scheepjes (The Two Little Ships) factory from 1782 until 1789, is illustrated in Aronson 1996, ill. 27. Another polychrome pair is illustrated in Lavino
2002, p. 83 (lower left); and a single cat is illustrated in Aronson 2003, p. 58, no. 55.