D0931. Blue and White Salt Cellar
Delft, circa 1720
Marked IG /4 in blue for Jan Gaal, the owner of De Twee Scheepjes (The Two Ships) factory from 1707 until 1725, or his widow Lijsbeth Gaal-van der Plank from 1725 through 1727
The circular well painted on the interior with a flowering branch within a whorl and hatchwork border on the octagonal rim, and on the octagonal exterior with alternating foliate scrolls and four-petal blossoms, the stem with a foliate-vine band, and the octagonal foot with panels of trellis diaper work interrupted by foliate devices and alternating with blue-ground panels of demi-blossoms and leaves.
Height: 4.8 cm. (1.9 in.)