D1215. Two Blue and White ‘Dragon’ Pattern Plates
Delft, circa 1700
Marked AK in blue for Adrianus Kocx, the owner of De Grieksche A (The Greek A) factory from 1686 to 1701 (white border); the other marked CD 24 in blue, unidentified, but possibly for Claes van Dyck
Each painted in the center with a snarling dragon amidst a profusion of flowering branches, the narrow rim with a trellis diaper border reserved with five oval panels decorated with a demi flowerhead and three leaf-sprigs, the first plate decorated on the reverse with alternating * and O devices, and the second with an iron-red rim edge.